Discarded tear-offs are becoming an increasingly common sight in our woods, forests and badger holes up and down the country.
I’m not going to have a rant about littering, because like the rest of you I hate it too. We should leave nothing in the woods but tyre marks, maybe a manmade booter or two, small amounts of bodily fluids, perhaps the inevitable drop of chainlube (bio of course) and at a ‘push’ a poo. But that’s it.
Goggle Lenses are expensive, they do scratch and do need protecting. But at a race event, should we expect the organisers to pick up our jettisoned vision strips or should we be taking more responsibility? And do we really need to be chucking tear offs while on a weekend ride in the woods just practising? If we’re not on a timed run then the simplest method is just sticking the used tear off in your pocket.
What are the alternatives?
Well, a US company, biotearoffs.com, make some biodegradable tear offs. Not sure how long they take to degrade and it’s still littering in my eyes though.
How about a decent mudguard? Keep the shit from flying off your front wheel is half the problem. The Powa Dfender works well.
Smith do a good roll off system. 25 to 35 clear pulls per cannister.
Or a snazzy wireless set up like these RedRaven Speedviews?
This superhydrophobic stuff looks good but dries to to a translucent white colour so would obscure your vision. If only the boffins can make it transparent so it can be applied to a lens then we’re on to a winner.
Errr…not sure about this one though.
So what do you lot think? Do you have any suggestions ideas about the tear off solution? Let’s hear your thoughts in the comments below.
- Future racers | The Question
- 29ers in Downhill Racing? | The Question
- How important is the mental approach to winning races? | The Question
- Are Mountain Bikes Too Expensive? | The Question
- Strava, good or bad? | The Question
- What is your favourite race track? | The Question
- Who is the most talented bike rider ever? | The Question
- Favourite downhill mountain bike track | The Question
- What do you want from a product? | The Question
- Who do you think is the most talented mountain bike rider ever? | The Question
- Tear offs - good or bad? | The Question
- What is your dream holiday? | The Question
- Why do bike companies feel that they have to produce a new range every year? | The Question
- What's the greatest mountainbike product of all time? | The Question
- Electric bikes - spawn of Satan or harmless fun? | The Question
- Who is your hero? | The Question
- Are 29" bikes right? | The Question
- 29 Inch Wheels in Downhill Racing? | The Question