Red Bull Rampage - Saturday, Postponed - Dirt

Mountain Biking Magazine



Red Bull Rampage – Saturday, Postponed

I woke up this morning to hear that dreaded noise I seem to have heard at every event this year. That of rain!! In Utah? It’s a desert. Apparently there are only 10 days of rain here a year so it’s unbelievable that one’s gone and dropped itself in the middle of the Rampage. It was meant to be qualifying today and finals tomorrow but instead here is the official word from the organisers:

“Due to rain and a flash flood warning for Zion National Park and the surrounding areas, qualifying for Red Bull Rampage has been postponed for Saturday, October 4th. Weather forecasts call for continued rain throughout the day and potentially into tonight. As a result, Red Bull Rampage will resume Sunday, October 5th (weather dependent). Formats for qualifying and finals will be determined tomorrow morning so as to adjust for the revised schedule. Tentatively, we are looking to run both qualifying and finals on Sunday, but there is a possibility of running the event on Monday as well. This will be determined Sunday morning depending on weather and course conditions.”

A statement that conveys it all except for the disappointment everyone is feeling whilst reading books, listening to music, going round boring shops and watching the rain hit the Utah ground. And that ground at the site is mega dusty and apparently when it gets wet it goes crazily slippy like a layer of slime on the surface. It hasn’t even possible to get to the site today as the track up to it was too treacherous to be driven up.

I’ve heard conflicting rumours about what the weather will be like tomorrow, but let’s hope we get the old sun back. Up till now it had been the hottest event I’d been at this year, let’s hope we get that back although as I type the rain is coming down and I don’t hold any hope that anything will happen tomorrow except more burger eating and beer drinking. Gee Atherton was out here earlier in the year and he was hopeful about the event, as you can see from this film, as we are now that it will actually happen. Fingers crossed, bloody weather…
More Mountain Biking Videos >>

Gee in Practice.

Hopefully we’ll see some more of this tomorrow.

Maybe even a view like this.

Rachel Atherton has been talking about wanting to ride next year but in the meantime she’s keeping in shape with some push ups while watching her brothers.

and killing time when’s it raing buying hats!!!

Dirtmag’s report from Saturday at the Red Bull Rampage that is unfortunately postponed due to rain.


Newsletter Terms & Conditions

Please enter your email so we can keep you updated with news, features and the latest offers. If you are not interested you can unsubscribe at any time. We will never sell your data and you'll only get messages from us and our partners whose products and services we think you'll enjoy.

Read our full Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions.