Legendary New Zealand mountain biker James ‘Dodzy’ Dodds tragically passed away last week. Our thoughts are with his family and friends at this sad time.
Here’s a touching tribute from World Cup racer Justin Leov.
What an amazing bloke James “Dodzy” Dodds was. Many people may not realize just how much this guy did for the mountain bike community including:
• Creating a pro team in New Zealand (that really was the first one of its kind here in NZ);
• The creation of the MTB Skills Clinics that has properly taught over 5000 people plus people amazing mountain bike skills;
• The Zerode downhill bike that was a project of Dodzy’s for many years and one that really took shape when he was at home injured and bored with a broken leg. The bike was completed and manufactured in collaboration with Rob Metz and still continues with Rob;
• The trail systems in Rotorua, which were built and influenced by Dodzy. Many people enjoy them to this day and they are world famous in New Zealand;
• In conjunction with friend and business partner Jeff Carter, building of the 2006 World Championships 4X track in Rotorua;
• Dodzy’s business with Jeff Carter, NZ Trail Solutions. An amazing business building trails globally with expert New Zealand labour.
All of these amazing things were achieved whilst still making time to spend with his awesome girlfriend Gabby. They had a special bond and shared their experiences together and held each other up. Everyone who meet these two could tell you how they both radiated happiness, on and off the bike.
Dodzy to me personally was a great mate. We shared mountain bikes, motocross and especially hunting together. I never had a brother but I looked up to him like one, he taught me so much about life. Some of the latest hunting trips we had hold the greatest memories in my mind.
Dodzy has touched a lot of people in his time here, many from different outlets. I know Dodzy would have wanted us to keep doing the things we love, he would have been stoked to see people out their doing it all, this true spirit of what he was all about as a person.