Do you love writing and creating content around mountain biking? Do you dream of reporting on the latest developments in the sport and interviewing top athletes? Do you want to work with one of the oldest and most respected mountain bike media outlets in the world?
Dirt is looking for a new junior writer to help us report on the day-to-day workings of mountain biking. We’re offering a full time, office based role in Clapham, London to anyone who fancies a challenge and isn’t afraid of getting stuck in to all things mountain biking.
You’ll be expected to cover daily news and video content, create SEO articles to help advise mountain bikers, engage with Dirt’s huge social media audience and come up with your own features that you think Dirt’s readers will love.
We honestly have no pre-conceived notions about what the ideal candidate will look like, we’re not too bothered about your experience or education as long as you’re fizzing with ideas and mad keen on push bikes.
Here’s the role description:
Staff Writer – Dirt Magazine
Contract or Permanent
Some out of hours work required
Factory Media is seeking a journalist to produce and manage a stimulating mix of mountain biking content for Dirt Magazine (Dirt)
The primary purpose of the role is to make sure Dirt meets and exceeds its audience targets by ensuring the site is populated with compelling and fresh mountain biking content.
The successful candidate will produce daily news content that appeals to the Dirt audience, interview athletes and industry personalities, produce SEO led features and help to manage Dirt’s social media accounts.
We also want your ideas for new and fresh content, features and news that you think are missing from mountain bike media.
An interest in mountain biking and mountain bike culture is a must, as too is a passion for digital media.
- Populating the website – following an editorial plan to ensure Dirt’s content is varied and relevant
- Writing your own articles, re-writing press releases and finding news stories.
- Interviewing athletes and industry personalities for one off and regular features.
- Reporting on the mountain biking race scene.
- Testing products and bikes in order to provide honest, balanced and fair reviews.
- Representing Dirt at trade shows and events, with some overseas travel.
- Using SEO tools to maintain and improve Dirt’s position on search engines
- Helping to develop Dirt’s social media channels
- A mountain biking advocate, not afraid to become well integrated into the network of key influencers
- Fast, organised worker
- Numbers-driven / highly analytical
- Thrive on pressure in target-driven culture
- Highly motivated
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Excellent written English with natural, informal, entertaining writing style
- The ability to form good relationships with both industry leaders and professional riders within mountain biking.
- Good working knowledge of WordPress or other CMS
- Working knowledge of the Adobe Suite for both video and photography
- Comfortable using Google analytics
- Good grasp of how the main social networks work
- General awareness of web technologies
- Understanding of SEO
- Ability to shoot and edit (using Adobe CC) photos and videos would be useful.
- Reports to James Smurthwaite, Steve Jones and Sebastian Hejna.
Works throughout the Factory Portfolio supporting other brands where needed.
- Competitive salary
- On the job training
- Health cash plan