After a long discussion with Billy last week about his new camera dolly (mk3), it came out that I could actually use a welder.
I made this frame for my GCSE design technology project (I was only 16 at the time), and it’s one of the only things I’ve done that I’m pretty proud of. The head tube and bottom bracket shell were machined from some 2” bar, and all the tubing is 6061 T6 Aluminium. The bottom bracket was never threaded, but if it was, the frame could be built up and ridden (in theory!).
The only part I didn’t make myself were the dropouts, which came from a Mountain Cycle Rumble frame.
Its not perfect, and could do with a few changes here and there if I made another one. It could do with a bmx sized (110mm instead of the usual 135) back end, if you pedalled it at the moment you’d be sure to be doing a pretty good John Wayne impression.
Now Billy knows about my welding ability, I’m sure you’ll be hearing more about camera dolly mk3 soon!