2010 Dirt 100 Orange 224

What hasn’t been said about Orange’s simple single pivot design? Over many years it has been well and truly proven, and short of reeling off the usual list of superlatives you can rest safe in the knowledge that the 224 has been used as the benchmark for our bike tests for four years. Many bikes have copied, but none have refined it to quite such a degree of perfection as the 224. Orange don’t make rash decisions when developing new ideas for their models and this classic and highly refined design will take some beating.

£4,499.99 (Frame only: £2099.99)

Orange bikes 01422 311 113
www.orangebikes.co.uk

Dirt-100-p036

Featured in this post

1. Luís

Will this issue be in sale in Portugal to?
    I remember searching last year dirt 100 and just didn’t find it anywhere!
    Thanks

2. coin keogh

granted the 224 is an animal bike i personally love them but how can you say these bikes can take a beating there one of the worst for cracking i no one guy who has a crack the size of a penny is his swingarm.i didnt buy an orange because of there reputation with cracking

3. Timmy-o-shea

Yeah, crack-a-lacka-tastic and not really my bag but I wonder how many podium finishes this bike has had nationally and internationally? (Steve Jones probably has a statistic on that actually.)

4. Bobby Bikeactive

224 is an amazing bike. The 224 Evo’s don’t crack. You still see loads of 222′s on the circuit.

5. Ratty

“Orange don’t make rash decisions when developing new ideas for their models”

Errrrr is that not because its the same single pivot design thats been around for about a thousand years? :)

6. Rooby

My 224 Evo is currently back in Halifax having a crack in the swingarm box section fixed. So yes, they do crack. Annoyingly

7. Crashin

Pretty.

8. neil

coin keogh-’granted the 224 is an animal bike i personally love them but how can you say these bikes can take a beating there one of the worst for cracking’

Dirt aint talking about the frame there saying its the single pivot design that will be hard to beat.

9. Hugo

Preety much every other DH frameset out there cracks, its a fucking race bike! Every race orientated machine is a balance between light weight, stiffness and reliability, get an over built heavy weight DHer and the only place you wont be is on the podium.

10. Chris Lover

I’ve ridden birds and bikes with big cracks.

Didn’t do me any harm.

11. Mint

What would be a dh bike that ain’t tailored for racing but designed for abuse and having fun?

12. Hugo

Race bikes and freeride bikes are built for different purposes, freeride are heavier built for poor landings and more serious abuse, no point in taking a knife to a gun fight.

13. Joe

Everything cracks eventually. Anyone that has done a season somewhere will have seen or known someone that has had pretty much every bike under the sun shit its pants at some point.

Like Tyler Durden says ‘On a long enough time line, everyones survival probability drops to zero’.

14. Steve

Well some DH bike do crack nothing we can do

15. Dirt dodger

224, 3rd model in 5 years and NOT 1 has cracked – and before any idiot says it I have raced every year, most nationals and regionals, placed top 20-25 consistent, swiss and french alps also included…. for every cracked frame i am sure there are 100 that are not !

X

Next up in Dirt 100

Trek Session 88 | 2010 Dirt 100