06/01/2013 | 28 comments
We catch up with 2012 World Champ Greg Minnaar in The Dirty Dozen.
1. What have you been up to since the WC race season finished at Hafjell in September?
I’ve been working a ton on Ultimate Experience and True Collection (Greg’s businesses), flew from Hafjell to Monaco for meetings and it hasn’t really slowed down from there. I’m now back in South Africa, getting some riding and surfing in; I wish the days were a little longer so I could get out in the water more often.
2. As World Champion is your diary chock a block with PR commitments, parties and the like?
Yea, I haven’t had much time off at all; it’s all a part of it I guess. I’m going under the knife tomorrow morning for a minor op on my shoulder, then heading off on Wednesday morning to Cape Town for a Santa Cruz promotion, I land back in Pietermaritzburg on Saturday morning and then head to another awards evening…So yes, chock-a-block.
3. What does your winter training regime consist of? What’s your weekly routine and have you started yet?
I knew I was going to be out of action for a couple weeks, so I did start earlier then normal. Right now though it’s more cross training, which is the fun side of training for me…the more serious stuff kicks off in the New Year.
4. Have you got your World Champ jersey framed and on your wall yet?
No, to be honest I haven’t even unpacked it since returning home. It will go up soon.
5. What are your thoughts on the 2013 World Cup schedule 5 rounds in Europe and one in Canada, bit light eh? Do you think the season should be longer?
Of course I do, right now DH is the strong side to the UCI and I can’t understand why they’re not capitalizing on it. I loved the days of an 8-race world cup. It gave you a chance to come back in the season if you had a bad race.
6. Having the 2013 World Champs in Pietermaritzburg will give you a home advantage but do you think the track is worthy of a World Champs?
I’m not sure it gives me any advantage, it’s more draining being the “Info Centre” for every foreigner. Compared to other tracks we’ve raced World Champs on previously, yes. My feeling on a World Champs track is that it has to have variety, and I feel PMB has a little too much of one style of racing. From a racing point of view I think it’s going to make good racing as it has done in the past, and the crowd I’m sure will be out in full force.
7. How many stylists did it take to get your hair looking like that in the new O Neal advert?!
Wahahaha, not one! I did ask the blondie to help me out in the end; she didn’t do a bad job aye.
8. What music are you listening too at the moment?
Only the bloody radio lately, that will change leading up to the festive season.
9. When was the last time you were hung over?
Yesterday, I’m sure my drink was spiked.
10. How many bikes have you got hanging up in your shed nowadays?
Got a couple hanging. 2 V10s, Nomad, Tallboy LTc, 2 Stigmatas ( crossbikes), Jackel and a Highball.
11. Got any funny jokes you can share?
Yea, I remember laughing at a joke Saturday night. But as I said I think my drink was spiked…so I can’t remember it now.
12. What’s Christmas like in the Minnaar household? And what are you getting from Santa?
Christmas is family time; we get together as a family for a huge lunch. Santa doesn’t come past my house any more, so I now try to beat him at his own game. In my Nephew’s and Niece’s eyes, Uncle Greg has a way bigger toy factory then the fat guy dressed in red.