Yeah, that’s right, we do actually have some members of the fairer sex working in the bike industry. Admittedly they do seem to be few and far between, but nevertheless they do exist. Anyway, Christina Orlandella is far from being some token dolly bird, she’s been in the bike industry for years, loves her bikes, and is generally as sound as a pound (or should I say dollar?). We must admit though that even after years of her doing a sterling job of promoting crankbrothers products, our opinion of her did dip slightly after she refused to drink more than a couple of sips of cider during her recent visit to Dirt HQ. Don’t worry though, we’ll make sure she experiences ‘cider power’ properly next time she visits, but in the mean time here’s her endtroducing…
WHO IS CHRISTINA ORLANDELLA?
The youngest of eight siblings. So I like to surround myself with bigger, faster, smarter people who challenge me and make me laugh. It also explains why I don’t like to share my toys.
WHERE DO YOU LIVE?
Southern California. Picture the travel brochure with pretty beaches, trails and mountains. Now picture millions of people driving cars all over it.
WHAT’S YOUR JOB TITLE?
Marketing Director…because it fits on the business card. “Person Who Is Always Being Asked for Free Pedals” was too long.
WHAT DO YOU DO?
I get to oversee our advertising, PR, tradeshows, events and team sponsorships, work with sales and our Art Director. And I answer questions for the back of magazines.
HOW LONG HAVE YOU WORKED FOR CRANKBROTHERS?
Seven years in August.
HOW DID YOU LAND THE JOB?
When I worked for BIKE mag, I became friends with Andrew Herrick, when he was VP of Marketing for GT. He then became one of the owners of crankbrothers and hired me.
WHAT’S THE BEST PART OF YOUR JOB?
The people I get to interact with every day.
WHAT’S THE WORST JOB YOU’VE EVER HAD?
Logistics at Toshiba after university. We had to swipe an identification card to pass through cubicle zones or to enter the lunch room, and pantyhose (tights) were compulsory for women! Longest six months of my life.
WHERE’S YOUR FAVOURITE PLACE?
WHERE’S YOUR FAVOURITE PLACE TO RIDE?
Southern Utah, so far, but there are so many places I need to explore…
WHEN ARE YOU HAPPIEST?
I think it will be when I finish this questionnaire.
WHAT MAKES YOU ANGRY?
Too many hours stuck to the computer when I should be riding.
WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY?
Anything created with honesty and excitement.
WHAT’S THE BEST PIECE OF ADVICE YOU’VE EVER BEEN GIVEN?
Don’t drink the Scrumpy (Dirt: We reckon that’s bad advice, Scrumpy rocks).
WHAT’S THE BEST PIECE OF ADVICE YOU’VE EVER GIVEN?
You’re a slave to what you say, you’re the master of what you don’t.
WHAT ARE YOUR EXTRAVAGANCES?
Great food and wine, new sneakers, new gear, and eight hours of sleep a night.
WHO DO YOU ADMIRE?
Today, I’m admiring Steve Peat – as I write this, he just won his 17th World Cup. (And now he’s World Champion)
WHAT’S THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN YOUR LIFE?
My time. We’re each born with such a small amount. I want to choose how I spend mine, and with whom.
WHAT WOULD YOU NEVER THROW AWAY?
WHAT’S YOUR GREATEST FEAR?
Pigeons. I can explain, but I’d rather not.
WHAT WAS YOUR LUCKIEST ESCAPE?
When I was commuting to work and a huge SUV rolled a stop sign and I almost had mixed grill for breakfast.
WHAT’S THE FIRST THING YOU DO IN THE MORNING?
Well, if I don’t feel like performing an interpretive dance depicting my dreams from the night before, I drink coffee.
WHAT’S THE LAST THING YOU DO AT NIGHT?
Kiss my husband, and let the cat in again…for the fifth time.
WHAT WOULD BE YOUR DREAM MEAL?
Haggis and beans on toast. Oh wait, that’s my nightmare meal. Sorry.
WHAT THINGS DO YOU ALWAYS CARRY WITH YOU?
Funny you should ask. I just had my car keys, wallet and iPhone stolen yesterday at lunch. Stolen, right out from under my nose. Since those aren’t available, I’ll say a pump, a tube, and a tool.
DO YOU HAVE ANY REGRETS?
Yeah. Taking my eyes off my car keys, wallet and iPhone yesterday.
WHAT’S THE MOST IMPORTANT LESSON THAT YOU’VE LEARNT?
Trust everyone. Trust them even to steal your sh**t when you’re not looking.
IF YOU COULD HAVE DINNER WITH THREE FAMOUS PEOPLE (DEAD OR ALIVE) WHO WOULD THEY BE?
Wait…that all depends on which restaurant we’re going to and who’s paying for dinner, cos I don’t have my wallet.
WHO IS YOUR FAVOURITE RIDER?
Steve Peat, for his amazing career, and for his loyalty to crankbrothers – he was the first World Cup racer to make the switch to mallet pedals.
WHAT’S YOUR FAVOURITE BIKE PRODUCT OF ALL TIME?
The eggbeater pedal.
WHAT’S YOUR LEAST FAVOURITE BIKE PRODUCT OF ALL TIME?
WHAT’S YOUR FAVOURITE MOTTO OR SAYING?
“Never excuse, never explain, never complain” and “Bar ends are gay”.
WHAT SAYING DO YOU USE TOO MUCH?
WHAT BIKE ARE YOU RIDING AT THE MOMENT?
My desk chair. But tomorrow, my Santa Cruz.
WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO AT THE MOMENT?
The sound of my head hitting the keyboard. How many more questions are there?
WHAT ONE THING WOULD YOU CHANGE ABOUT YOURSELF?
I’d wake up at 5am every day to ride before work.
WHAT ARE YOUR WEAKNESSES?
Steep switchbacks, maths and puppies.
WHAT DOES THE FUTURE HOLD FOR YOU?
I don’t know, but if you find out, call me on my stolen mobile phone.
WHAT DOES THE FUTURE HOLD FOR MOUNTAIN BIKING?
Purely from a design viewpoint, coordination of frames and components is happening already and I think we’ll see more of it.
HOW WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE REMEMBERED?
As ‘the girl who got her keys, wallet and iPhone back’…
- Elmar Keineke Interview | Endtroducing
- Dan Brown Interview | Endtroducing
- Brian Vernor Interview | Endtroducing
- Jerry Schipper Interview | Entroducing
- John Lawlor Interview | Entroducing
- Ian Luff Interview | Endtroducing
- Nicolas Menard Interview | Endtroducing
- Jonas Mikolayunus Interview | Endtroducing
- Albert Steward Interview | Endtroducing
- Michel Lethenet Interview | Endtroducing
- Jeremiah Boobar Interview | Endtroducing
- Pete Drew Interview | Endtroducing
- Christina Orlandella Interview | Endtroducing
- David 'Tally' Tallontire Interview | Endtroducing
- Olly Wilkins Interview | Endtroducing
- Tahnée Seagrave Interview | Endtroducing
- John Pentecost Interview | Endtroducing
- Mick Kirkman Interview | Endtroducing
- Brian Finestone Interview | Endtroducing
- Ali Beckett Interview | Endtroducing
- Steve Smith Interview | Endtroducing
- Morgane Charre Interview | Endtroducing
- Brook MacDonald Interview | Endtroducing
- Rachel Atherton Interview | Endtroducing
- Neil Donoghue Interview | Endtroducing
- Martin Astley Interview | Endtroducing
- Niall Davis Interview | Endtroducing
- Chris Garrison Interview | Endtroducing
- Claudio Caluori Interview | Endtroducing
- Matt Andrews Interview | Endtroducing
- Chris Conroy Interview | Endtroducing
- Rob Scullion Interview | Endtroducing
- Chris Bukovansky Interview | Endtroducing
- Rachael Walker Interview | Endtroducing
- Frazer Coupland Interview | Endtroducing
- Iain 'Ace' Woodley Interview | Endtroducing
- Dave Ziegman Interview | Endtroducing
- Brett Tippie Interview | Endtroducing
- Mark Fitzsimmons Interview | Endtroducing
- Dan Stanton Interview | Endtroducing
- Pete Scullion Interview | Endtroducing
- James Renwick Interview | Endtroducing
- Alex Perry Interview | Endtroducing
- Will Ockelton Interview | Endtroducing
- Chris Ball Interview | Endtroducing
- Lyle Barton Interview | Endtroducing
- Rolando Galli Interview | Endtroducing