Hello, welcome to Dirt please use the links below to jump to a specific section.

Navigation Search Content Other Mpora Sites

2013 Dirt 100: SPECIALIZED BUTCHER

07:00 6th February 2013 by Billy Thackray
3 Comments
Share:

SPECIALIZED BUTCHER

It’s hard not to draw comparison with the ever popular Maxxis Minion front tyre when you look at a Butcher, but that certainly isn’t a bad thing. Maxxis once dominated the downhill tyre world with supreme tread patterns and rubber quality, but Specialized have now struck a perfect balance with a ‘super tacky’ 42a compound coupled with a hardwearing casing.

We love the Butcher and have absolute confidence in their ability on all downhill terrains, in conditions ranging from super-dry to medium. They only seem to come unstuck in slippery grime, but then that is probably too much to ask of a dry weather tyre anyway. The rubber compound is the same used in many top DH offerings and yet it seems that these are some of the hardest wearing in their category. That’s big news if you ride your bike regularly and have to fork out for new tyres every few weeks.

Finally, the limits of these tyres are hard to reach and when you do so, they don’t ‘snap out’ from under you at all, instead they give a predictable, manageable slide which makes them one of the most confidence inspiring tyres on sale.

PRICE: £44.99

Specialized UK 02083 913 500

www.specialized.com

100tyres

1. Machete

excellent tyres but very highly priced. trade price is less than £20 so lots of room for negotiation at your local supplier ;)

2. Eoin

My local overpriced specialized dealer sells them cheaper than the maxxis equivalent in other shops, so I reckon they can be found at good prices. The SX version is amazing: 900gr, huge, bombproof (tubeless). My only complaint with specializd tyres is they blow off the rim a little too easily when tubeless. Happened to me and a couple friends up front during hard cornering, not a nice experience!

3. Mike

Ran last season, the 2.3 SX on everything from shallow grime to rocky alpine. These are a real treat at any price, let alone the ridiculously low US retail.

X

Also in Dirt 100 2013

2013 Dirt 100: Chris King Hubs

Read More